Tuesday, 24 April 2018

What is the meaning of life?

Isn't this the eternal question? Whose answer many have sought. Many thought they found out. And a lot more died searching for it. Yet, everyone knows it. You know it. I know it. But that doesn't mean your answer has to match mine. How? Why? We will get back to that later.

But first, let me give you my answer.

Humour me this. Are you alive? If yes, you are a living thing. If no, umm......???
A living thing huh. So you are a living thing. The word "living" is crucial to you, a "thing" , to be "alive" . So, isn't the primary purpose of a living thing, that is, you, is to live. And hence to be alive by any means necessary. Isn't that what life is?

How crude? Ya. I know. It's primitive to think like that.

But, what in our society can't be broken down into their respective primitives. Nothing. Almost nothing.

We have come this far. How did we do that? How did we survive? We survived because of our indomitable will to live. Or in other words. Our fear of death.

I know. Death, the word makes us feel weak. It's one of those things we haven't overcome yet. But the very existence of death gives more meaning to life than almost anything else.

If we weren't afraid of dying, would we have ever learned to make fire. The very fear of being torn apart by the deadly creatures of the night led us to use fire for protection. And isn't that discovery enough to kickstart the era of human evolution. Didn't we build homes for the same reason.

But just because we became smarter, we had more knowledge, doesn't mean that our fear of death faded away. We always faced a greater force. Always something that was beyond our control. That could harm us. End us. So, when we couldn't use our brain to defend us, we looked up and prayed. We prayed. We begged. For mercy. For protection. For life.

We created God to give us hope. And we created His Wrath, to fear death.

Have I strayed from my topic. I believe not. So, to sum up.

I believe. The meaning of life is to live, at any cost. And to keep living. Because, what is a life if you are not alive.

Now. I will answer you why my answer to the question could differ from your's. And if you are nothing like me. Then maybe it should differ from you. Because, there is a fault in the question itself. Or maybe the fault is in our perception of the question.

Isn't that the reason why many failed to find the answer to this question? Because they failed to find the hidden word "your" (them) before the word "life" . It's almost funny how the answer to the hardest questions always lies the closest to the seeker. It's "almost" funny.

I guess that makes me a fool too. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment