Monday, 25 July 2016

Silent Memories

CHARACTERS
Anish: the protagonist, Anita: his wife, Rohit: his son, Sunder: his father

Anish: Honey, I’m home.
[Unlocks the main door]
This was a damn long day.
[Shuts the door]
[Anita is watching TV]
Where is Rohit? Studying upstairs I guess.
[Opens his shoes and socks and puts down his briefcase]
Damn, I’m hungry. Sorry, I couldn’t go to the bazaar today. Today was a very tough meeting. On top of that the clients weren’t completely happy.
[Untying his tie]
You know, it’s quite disheartening when you have put a lot of hard work into something and despite that it doesn’t have the desired result.
[Anita is still watching TV]
Geez, I know it’s time for your favorite TV show. But you could at least say something. Hope there’s something in the fridge for me.
[Opens the fridge]
Ahh, that smell. Is that gajar ka halwa? I am eating this right now.
Hmm. Since you are not scolding me, I would take it as a yes. Better warm it before having this [sniffs it again] awesome halwa.
Honey, you sure know how to brew up magic.
[Opens the Microwave Oven]
There you go.
[Sets the timer]
Wonder what’s Rohit is doing.
[Moves up the stairs]
[Enters Rohit’s room]
Hey, buddy. What are you doing? Hmm. Serious look.
[Approaches Rohit]
Algebra. Well. Do you need help with it?
Looks like you are doing quite fine on your own. Good boy.
[Exits Rohit’s room]
[Moves down the stairs]
Looks like this is done. [Grabs the halwa]
Are you serious? What do they show in those TV shows? Secrets of the universe. Ways to get rich in a minute. Good. Have it your way.
[Moves up to the balcony]
Nice breeze.
[Tummy growls] Ok. Let’s not wait anymore. Hmm. This is as delicious as it smells.
[Looks up at the stars]
It’s so calm up here.
[Looks behind]
Hey. Finally. Is the show over? Looks like you are done with your algebra too.
Do you want to have some halwa? There is still some left. Damn. What’s that foul smell? [A pungent irritating smell pierces his nostrils]
[A thundering sound]
No! [The balcony breaks and falls tumbling on him]
Help. Somebody help.
Rohit? Anita?
[Everything gradually blurs out]
[A multitude of noises fills the background]
Ahh.
[Gains consciousness]
What is happening?
 [Tries to push the rubble over him]
[Sirens approaches]
Help. Please.
[Officers run towards him]
Where are my wife and son? Please tell me that they are okay.
[Officers slowly remove the rubble]
Officers, please. Help them. They are all…….
[Everything blurs out again]

Sunder:       Beta. Are you feeling okay? You got us so much worried. [with tear soaked eyes]
Your mother just cannot deal with this all over again. She is completely heart-broken.
Anish:       Dad! [as he slowly opens his eyes]
Sunder:        Beta. Everything will be fine. The doctor said that you will recover soon.
Anish:           Where is Rohit? Where is Anita? I don’t see them. They must be very worried. They are fine. Aren’t they?
Sunder:        What do you mean? What are you saying son? [his eyes tears up again]
Are you alright?
Anish:           Dad. Where is my wife and son? [his eyes are trembling in fear]
Sunder:        Son. Come to your senses. Don’t you remember that they died last year?
Anish:           What kind of sick joke is this? Tell me where they are. I just saw them a while back. She was watching TV. Just the way she always does when I return home. And Rohit was doing his homework. I fell from the balcony. Tell me where they are? Tell me now.
[Sunder slaps him]
[Nurses rush in]
u

Sunder:         They are dead. You damn moron. They are dead. How dare you say such non sense? How could you put us through such pain again?
Anish:            You are lying to me? Why are you lying? Leave me. Let me go. Let me see them.
Doctor:         Nurses, hold him down.
Sunder:         Don’t you remember the house catching fire? Don’t you remember? How could you forget?
[Nurses die him down]
Anish:        No. No. [he screams in pain and anger]. I was there. I was in the house. I was……
Doctor:        Calm down. You were caught in a bridge collapse.
[Sunder slowly vanishing into a corner]
Nurses bring me the syringe.
Anish:          No, I just saw them. They were happy. I was happy. We were together. We were finally together. Let me go. [his eyes suddenly raging with anger] I was with them. I was finally with them. Why did you save me? Let me go. Let me be……
[his voice slowly fades out as the nurse pulls out the syringe]

No comments:

Post a Comment